Absolute lakefront. Absolute bliss.
A hidden haven at the edge of Lake Hawea, Wanaka, New Zealand. Stay a night, a week or longer and enjoy the ultimate retreat.
The Black Shack is a gorgeous sunny lakeside cottage nestled amongst native trees, with world class mountain and lake views. It doesn’t get more idyllic than this. With only a 2 mins drive from Lake Hawea township or 15mins drive to Wanaka township – you get to enjoy easy access to shops and your daily flat white but then quickly be back in paradise relaxing and enjoying nature.
This is a unique slice of paradise. There are not many cottages available to rent in such an idyllic spot. You can hear the birds every morning, hear the water of Lake Hawea lapping near the cottage. You truly feel renewed and invigorated after a stay here. Surrounded by native trees, nestled in a corner nook of the lake, John’s Creek has its own microclimate. There is open space for kids and adults to run around and bike. Its easy to get your boat in at the marina at Hawea township or with a 4WD directly outside the cottage.
We have had plenty of guests bringing their dogs along (with their own beds). We don't have a fence towards the north, lakeview, the other 3 sides are fenced. No cars around, and hardly any people. The dog will also fall in love with the Black Shack and its unique location! Your pet will ask you to go on holidays again and return to the Black Shack!
From $195.00 per night - 2 night minimum stay
Nearby attractions & activities
- 15 mins drive to Wanaka township with great bars, cafe and restuarants and of course shops
- 1 hour drive to Treble Cone, Cardrona and Snow Park ski areas
- 1.5 hour drive to Haast on the West Coast
- Waterskiing, paddle boarding, trout fishing, swimming directly in front of the cottage
- Hawea river track, golf course, tennis courts and playground just 5 mins drive from the Shack
- Great mountain biking on your doorstep – including heli-biking
- Guided hunting expeditions in this area
It’s also a magical venue for your office Christmas party, team bonding session, intimate wedding or niche event.
Come nightfall, you can crank up the BBQ and braziers then have a soak in the firebath beneath the Southern stars.
Ten reasons to stay at The Black Shack
- Spectacular views of the lake and mountains
- The fire bath – classic Kiwi ingenuity secluded amongst native bush. Great for stargazing!
- Sport – the Shack’s outboard speedboat available for hire for longstay guests
- Long lazy days by the lake – down here, the sun doesn’t set until 10pm in the summer
- Barbeque area is second to none
- Design features – contemporary artworks from local painters, ceramic artists and printmakers adorn the walls, along with our pithy book collection
- The games cupboard – now including Croquet, Petanque, Badminton, Cards, Backgammon, Monopoly, Poker and Operation
- Location, location! You’re in a secluded world of your own, yet just 5 mins drive from Hawea township
- Day trips to Bannockburn, Queenstown, Wanaka and the West Coast all within 2 hours away
- Once you’re here, you’ll find The Black Shack is truly inspiring. We’ve had glowing reports from renowned NZ poets Sue Wootton and Sam Hunt and 2 marriage proposals so far!