Kakanui Camping Ground is a relaxed friendly camping ground situated near the mouth of the Kakanui River. You will find Kakanui by travelling 10 minutes south of Oamaru, along the costal scenic road.
Take a short walk along the riverside to the local store/bottle store, with fruit and vegetable stalls along the way. Enjoy fishing, swimming, surfing or looking for penguins within walking distance.
We have 30 Caravan and tent sites available, with power to some of these, available on request.
Our facilities block is clean and tidy, including a small lounge with television within the kitchen/dining area, Laundry facilities including coin operated washing machine and dryer. All our facilities are wheelchair accessible.
- Sites available for all camping, from tents vans & buses.
- Toilet and shower facilities, including paraplegic toilet.
- Kitchen area available
- Free access to Local penguin sanctuary
- Laundry Available
- Limited Power sites available
- Pets are welcome on the camping ground site as long as they are keep under control. Pets are not allowed in the building containing camp kitchen/ lounge or the cabin.
- $15.00 per person per night
- Children under 12 years $4.00
- Children under 5 free
- $2.00 shower
- Power sites $4.00 per night
Allan & Chris Jones
Kakanui Camping Ground
Phone: 021 525 896
Postal Address: C/- Kakanui PDC
- The Kakanui River and its estuary divide the township in two. The part of the settlement south of the river (Campbell's Bay) developed as a collection of cribs (holiday homes) and now is home to many permanent residents and the perfect holiday.
- The view from the south side looks over Campbells Bay (a surf and swimming beach) towards All Day Bay and Moeraki.
- Campbell's Bay provides the first surfable break and the first safe swimming beach (apart from Timaru's Caroline Bay) south of Banks Peninsula. The beach is approximately 2 kilometres long and the southern end is known as All Day Bay (swim safe) which offers more shelter than Campbell's Bay.
- Kakanui has a reputation for its new-season potatoes which sell throughout the country. Kakanui township has a local shop/bottlestore/takeaway and a cafe at the northern end.
- Fishing is another attraction: both river and sea fishing. There is a boat ramp for sea fishing in Kakanui with good catches of blue cod and groper to be had.